Thursday, April 02, 2015

Easter Cupcakes


Tomorrow is Good Friday and Lloyd has the day off. Hopefully we are going out boating with R&V, but if this falls through we'll probably go to Matauri Bay for a bit of surfing. I tried boogie boarding last weekend and adored it. Lloyd bought me a board and I'm desperate to try it out. Regardless of what we end up doing, I wanted to make some easter cupcakes to share. 

I went for rich chocolate with vanilla buttercream icing. 

I used this recipe - which you can halve if you don't want to make as many. I tend to make a full batch and freeze half. 


INGREDIENTS
This makes 24-27 standard sized cupcakes
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (best quality available)
1 cup boiling water
Directions-
Line  tin with paper liners.  Heat oven to 180C
Into the Kitchen Aid (or mixer!)  bung together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix a bit.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla.  Beat on medium speed for one minute.
Stir in boiling water.
Fill papers 2/3 full with batter.  ( use one of those old fashioned ice cream scoops)


Bake cupcakes for about 18-22 minutes. ( mine took 16)
Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.

I used my tried and tested vanilla buttercream recipe 

  • 220g salted butter, softened
  • 4 cups icing sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 to 5 teaspoons of cream or milk - for this recipe I didn't use any milk, it took that much green food colouring!
  • Again, you can scale this down. Or just make a huge batch - I bake so often I just make lots and freeze any leftover.


I used the wilton tip with all the holes in it to make the grass. The wee eggs are bought ones. I thought about making some tiny white fondant flowers as well, but thought that might be overkill so left them as they were.

3 comments:

  1. Adorable. Happy Easter! (I have Good Friday off as well. No surfing for me, but I might putter around the garden or sewing room.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you 'overkill' such yummyness :D Have a great weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just love your new house and all the amazing improvements you've done. The view is wonderful . Tried your cupcakes and they turned out great, even though I didn't follow recipe properly and added the boiling water too early!! The mixture was so runny but they still cooked up beautifully , much to my surprise!! Have iced them all but just put hundreds & thousands on top this time and have in freezer waiting for the next time the grandchildren come. So enjoy your blogs.

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x