Friday, January 22, 2016

Churros

So, a couple of days ago we were having a lazy day. It was drizzling rain so we were making the most of an enforced day of being inside. All of a sudden I said, I fancy churros!

After a wee Pinterest search I came to the conclusion that they were actually super easy to make.

I decided on this one...

  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 cup flour
  • (½ cup sugar)
  • (1 Tbsp. cinnamon)
see! easy peasy. The sugar and the cinnamon in brackets are for covering the finished churros in. This recipe called for no sugar at all in the actual batter. All the other ones I found did have some sugar in them, so I bunged in about a t-spoon.

Recipe 

Step 1
Pour 1 cup of water into a pan, preferably one with a thicker bottom. Set the heat to medium.
Step 2
Add your oil.
Step 3
When the water comes to a rolling boil, turn off the heat and add the flour and salt. Stir. It gets a wee bit gooey, but just keep stirring. It will form quite a solid, glossy ball.
Step 4
Set the pot aside so that the dough can cool before you handle it.
Heat your frying oil on medium (180C/350ºF), in either a large pot or a frying pan with raised sides.
I have loads of piping bags and piping tips - I used the largest star tip I had. I tried to pipe the dough out, but it was pretty solid! So i ended up just pushing it through the nozzle by hand. This worked fine, and I'd be loathe to change the texture of the dough at all because the end result was so brilliant.

You'll need to cook them till golden brown - they will colour more still once they're out of the pan, so go for lighter rather than darker. Roll them around in the cinnamon sugar and voila. These were totally delicious!



6 comments:

  1. Well. Isn't that fantastic to know!?! I quite like churros myself, but for some reason always assumed they'd be more complicated than this. Hmmmm...good to know for our next day of being stuck inside on account of the cold or snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never even heard of Churros until I saw them on MAsterchef the other week :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are easy to make and my grandsons love the rolling in sugar part. Add in a few eggs and you have pate a choux and you can fill them with anything. Making me want to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! And your house and garden and everything - they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Laura and so easy to make. Great to read your blogs again as have missed them for a while. Love the alterations to your house too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! The tree is wonderful and I love the bark on the old tree too:)bloom tattoos

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you leave me comments, it lets me know there are folk out there reading my ramblings! Thank you, I appreciate them loads and loads
Laura x